Perfect Work/Life Balance
It exists. I have found it.
Last year, my wife and our friends went on a cruise. This was the first time that we had been on a cruise and we definitely picked an amazing way to introduce ourselves to cruising, or as we liked to call it: #cruiselife. In anticipation of the first cruise ship departure leaving Townsville Port next month, I thought I would revisit a column I wrote last year.
I explained last year about how I was impressed by the systems that Royal Caribbean operate with to be able to seamlessly accommodate the needs of over 8000 people onboard. Further to this, I found I was most impressed with the facilities available, considering we were hundreds of kilometres away at sea. Then, probably the best idea I have ever had, struck me like a lightning bolt – I could actually live AND still work aboard this ship...
Let me explain. We had lightning fast internet. Yes, sorry NBNCo but we get better internet on a ship off the coast of Cuba then we do in our office (FTTP too FYI).
Our room had a good sized desk to work from, not forgetting the exceptional view.
So here is how I would (like to) run RBS/NQ Finance Group aboard a cruise ship:
- 7.00am Wake, check the view
- 7.15am Jog 5km on the Level 3 running track (jokes, walk a lap or two)
- 8.00am Shower, buffet breakfast
- 9.00am Login, respond to emails
- 10.00am Login to QuickBooks Online and work on clients' accounts
- 11.00am Quick walk to Starbucks for a Venti Flat White
- 11.15am Back to QuickBooks Online
- 12.15pm Check RBS bank account for Debtor Payments
- 12.30pm Lunch at Chops Grille
- 1.30pm Emails + QuickBooks Online
- 2.30pm Client meeting via Facetime
- 3.30pm Lodge new lending applications
- 4.00pm Set new advert on Facebook/LinkedIn/Instagram to generate new business
- 4.30pm Check in on RBS Team members
- 5.30pm Head to the front deck for a cool drink and a pat on the back for a job well done.
What tools do I require for this utopic work environment?
- Cruise Ship
- My trusty Macbook (laptop)
- Email (Outlook/G-Suite)
- Cloud Software such as QuickBooks Online
- Internet Banking
So it's not exactly that far fetched to imagine working in Utopia is it? This is how your business can be set up RIGHT NOW!
There is nothing stopping you from running a services based business online.
It doesn't even take a little imagination anymore – these are standard systems, tools and software that are available right now and are CHEAP.
Chances are you are probably doing it already! There actually is such a thing as work/life balance, you just need to make it happen.(Originally published DUO Magazine August 2018)