Perfect Work/Life Balance
It exists. I have found it.
LAST month I spoke about a small part of our cruise of the Caribbean. We were celebrating my wife's 30th birthday with a group of friends aboard the Oasis of the Seas and were docked in Jamaica, a few days into our cruise. This was the first time that we had been on a cruise and we definitely picked an amazing way to introduce ourselves to cruising, or as we liked to call it: #cruiselife.
I don't mean to over exaggerate just how amazing #cruiselife is. I think another way of referring to cruising could be Utopia. Incredible restaurants, amazing bars, swimming pools, spa's, cinema, Comedy Club, ice-skating rink (yep!) and even rock climbing walls. Plus the shopping! On top of regular outlets they also had premium brand stores like Tiffany & Co Jewellers, Coach and Kate Spade. They even had a Starbucks.
I explained last month about how I was impressed by the systems that Royal Caribbean operate with to be able to seamlessly accommodate the needs of over 8000 people on board.
Further to this I found I was most impressed with the facilities available, considering we were hundreds of kilometres out at sea. Then, probably the best idea I have ever had, struck me like a lightning bolt - I could actually live AND still work aboard this ship...
Let me explain.
We had lightning fast Internet. Yes, sorry NBNCo but we get better internet on a ship off the coast of Cuba then we do in our office (FTTN too FYI).
Our room had a good sized desk to work from, not forgetting the exceptional view. So here is how I would (like to) run RBS/NQ Finance Group aboard Oasis of the Seas.
- 07.00am Wake and check the view.
- 07.15am Jog 5km on the Level 3 running track (joke - walk a lap or two)
- 08.00am Shower and buffet breakfast
- 09.00am Login and respond to emails
- 10.00am Login to QuickBooks Online and work on clients' accounts
- 11.00am Quick walk to Starbucks for a Venti Flat White
- 11.15am Back to QuickBooks Online
- 12.15pm Check RBS/NQFG bank account for Debtor Payments
- 12.30pm Lunch at Chops Grille
- 01.30pm Emails and QuickBooks Online
- 02.30pm Client meeting via FaceTime
- 03.30pm Lodge new lending applications
- 04.00pm Set new advertisement on Facebook/LinkedIn/Instagram to generate new business
- 04.30pm Check in on RBS Team members
- 05.30pm Head to the front deck for a cool drink and a pat on the back for a job well done.
So what tools do I require for this utopic work environment?
- Oasis of the Seas
- My trusty MacBook (laptop)
- Email (Outlook/G-Suite)
- Cloud software such as QuickBooks Online
- Internet banking
So it's not exactly that far fetched to imagine working in Utopia is it? This is how your business can be setup RIGHT NOW.
There is nothing stopping you from running a services based business online.
It doesn't even take a little imagination anymore - these are standard systems, tools and software that are available right now and are CHEAP.
Chances are you are probably doing it already! There actually is such a thing as work/life balance, you just need to make it happen.(Originally published DUO Magazine July 2017)